Ten Must-Do, Kid-Friendly Activities in Asheville, NC
With gorgeous weather year-round, a backdrop of beautiful mountains to explore, and an exciting and dynamic downtown, Asheville offers a little something for everyone, both young and old. So if you have kids in the family, you’re in luck! There’s no end to the fun that can be had with little ones, any day of the week, in beautiful Asheville. Here are just a few of the must-do activities in Asheville that are fun for you, fun for the kids, and will create memories that last a lifetime.
- Visit the Asheville Museum of Science. Between the Hall of Minerals, the Geodome Panorama, a Fossil Dig, a Climbing Experience, and a series of rotating, traveling exhibits, this relatively new museum (built in 2016) is sure to offer something to fit everyone’s interests. There’s even a giant “bird’s nest” that’s fun for grown-ups and toddlers alike. Pack up the kids and plan for a relaxing and engaging day indoors at this beautiful, state-of-the-art museum.
- Saturday night? Spread out a blanket and relax for Shindig on the Green. A long-running Asheville tradition, Shindig on the Green is an outdoor concert series that offers visitors and residents young and old a local, live-music experience that’s fun for the whole family. And what’s more? It’s free! Grab your favorite blanket, stake out a spot in the grass, and cuddle with the kids as you enjoy some fun and festive music in the beautiful outdoors.
- Explore North Carolina’s diverse flora and fauna at the Botanical Gardens at Asheville. Ready to get the kids out and about? Hit the Botanical Gardens. This artfully-curated, 10-acre plot boasts a number of relaxing, shaded walking trails, offering an easy way to get kids young and old out and enjoying the beauty of nature. It too is free, making this an easy solution for the family needing to get out of the house and do something different.
- Go hiking anywhere! Though the botanical gardens are well worth a visit, what’s great about Asheville is that the beauty of nature can be experienced quite literally anywhere. Nestled at the bases of the Blueridge Mountains and the Smoky Mountains, and with temperate summers, pleasant falls and springs, and very little rain, Asheville is an ideal place to get your kids out onto some trails for good family fun and a better appreciation of nature. There are hundreds of trailheads to explore, many of which take you to babbling creek beds, epic mountain views, and even some waterfalls!
- Climb aboard the Great Smoky Mountain Railroad! Ready for more mountain views from the comfort of a deluxe, antique train car? Take a ride on the Great Smoky Mountain Railroad. Fun for adults and kids, the train follows a historic railway system through western North Carolina. Learn about the history of the area from the comfort of the dine-in first-class coach, and enjoy a fantastic meal while you’re at it.
- Visit the beautiful and historic Biltmore Estate. This sprawling estate seems like it would appeal more so to adults than to kids, but locals know better: The Biltmore is home to a working farm, a children’s maze, horseback-ride excursions, gardens, playgrounds, and even a Segway tour! The historic tour of the house is simply a must-do, but for younger children with energy to burn, the Biltmore absolutely offers a wealth of fun options.
- Go wild at the Adventure Center of Asheville. Still, have energy to burn? The Adventure Center is the place for you. This exciting and inviting complex just outside of town has a little something for every type of adventure seeker. Climbers can take to the trees at the Treetop Adventure Park, while thrill-seekers experience a wild ride on the zip line course, or the extreme biking course on the grounds just below. And if you’ve got little ones, you’re in luck: there’s even an itty-bitty ziplining course for the 10-and-under crowd.
- Take the little guys to the indoor Mountain Play Lodge. Asheville’s Mountain Play Lodge is the ideal spot to take kids with energy when the weather’s not ideal for being outdoors. Rain or shine, this exciting indoor play complex has a massive playground with tunnels, slides, ladders, climbing ropes… whatever your kids need to turn a dark and dreary afternoon into an adventure! This is definitely a better destination for the younger crowd – children over 12 need not apply.
- Make a splash at Pack Square Park. Need something fun and easy that’s in town for the kiddos? Pack Square Park might be your answer: this sprawling public park downtown has an epic playground and a fun splash park for those hot summer days.
- Get lost out in the great unknown with Wildwater Jeep Tours. Time to explore beyond Asheville proper? Take your kids on an epic excursion through the mountains and all the way into Tennessee with Wildwater Jeep Tours. These two-hour excursions are perfectly safe for you and kids of all ages but will leave you utterly breathless as you make your way over boulders, along ravines, and up gorgeous mountain slopes. Bring the camera: you’re in for a wild ride that you and your family won’t ever forget.
There’s so much to see and do in Asheville that’s family-friendly and great for kids. For more information on the epic adventures that could be in store for your family, visit https://www.visitnc.com/asheville-the-foothills.
We Are Here To Help
Our agents receive extensive training and are equipped with the latest technology to help you find your next home. Most importantly, they love working with people just like you!